Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Where have I been? (and a quilt)

Some of you may have been wondering where the heck I went! Well, to be honest...I needed some time away from things. When I say things, I mean everything. I grabbed my stuff last Monday and bailed off to Nevada where my sister's family lives literally in the middle of nowhere. Her husband is a state park ranger so I mean it when I say the middle of nowhere because they live in the state park

It was a great week of total relaxation. I really needed to shut my brain off and not think about anything going on in my life. It was so wonderful to do absolutely nothing. I didn't check my emails, flickr, blog, pinterest, hardly facebook, sent no texts (except family members that needed something), didn't make any unnecessary calls, or shop. Ya, I actually intended to go fabric shopping but when it came down to it....I wasn't in the mood to sew or even look at fabric. I even spent all day Friday sick to my stomach from this little growing baby inside me. I did manage to pay some bills but that's about it.

I just got home and settled in and I feel so revitalized. I feel like I know how to get a handle on things and what's really important to me. It was a time a took out for myself and didn't worry or meet the needs of anyone else with the exception of my daughter. We tend to get so wrapped up in dumb things and deadlines that we're stressing ourselves out and making it hard to focus on what's really important. I really needed to just get away, clear my mind, and not worry about anything. My husband has been gone for work so he wasn't around this past week anyways. It's hard having a husband that travels for work and gone for days to weeks at a time. 

--------------------------------------------

Anyways! Enough about that! Here is something I've was working on long before I left! I finally had a chance to take some pictures so now I can post about it. I'm making a quilt! I've been working on so many other little projects.....it was time. 

Using a Glimma Roll of 2.5" strips I got from Westwood Acres, I began to cut. As I was sewing the pieces together I've really come to love this pallet. It's absolutely gorgeous. I'm sure that's old news to you but as for me...I finally got around to making something with this line. 

I think I love it so much that I want this to be the color pallet for my daughter's room someday. As in...she doesn't have her own room yet! I'm kind of cramped in an one bedroom apartment at the moment...that's San Diego living for ya!

 I went with a basket weave style. It's simple and didn't require me to cut anymore...which means the quilt won't keep shrinking. I thought about adding large solid white or grey borders but can't decide. What do you think I should do? Leave it as is?

HEY!------->>>>***You have a chance to WIN my FQ bundle for Fat Quarter Shop! Click hereGiveaway is open until 10/16! Good luck!***


Glimma Basketweave Quilt


Glimma Basketweave Quilt


Glimma Basketweave Quilt

Glimma Basketweave Quilt

post signature

18 comments:

  1. I love your quilt! The colors are perfect. I always wanted to run away for an unplanned trip but never followed through. I wish I had because after all, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it without borders, but would look nice with grey border too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not add borders, I like how it looks now, I love that line too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it as is. I have a layer cake of Glimma and am looking forward to cutting into it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful quilt Stephanie! I'm glad you were able to get some time away. I like the quilt without borders, but it would look pretty with a gray border too!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

      :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

      Delete
  6. love the fabric line too:-) I love it as is but if you add a border I would go like ash grey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugg! Hang in there. Someday (the bad side of) pregnancy stuff will just be a bad memory. Cute quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt looks just fab the way it is. Sorry about your yucky wellness/sickness, I was sick all through 40 weeks of each pregnancy with a husband that worked away too, I am only too aware how awful it can be. Sending hugsxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back! I'm glad you're all recharged :) That quilt is so fun and I too love that color pallet. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grey, definitely gray. So simplistic, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the quilt as is, Stephanie. Glad to hear you took some time to yourself and enjoyed it. You are so right about stressing and pressure. There are people in your life who are important - and YOU are one of them. Take care and hope the upset stomach passes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Glimma! I love your quilt. I'm also glad that you got to have some time away from... well, apparently everything! Hope you can stay in your peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful quilt! I'm glad you got a week to unwind and disconnect. It sounds like that would have been a neat place to be. Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you in taking time for yourself, we need to reenergize every now and then and with a little one on the way you need to take care of yourself :) Great quilt! I have a Glimma layer cake and this quilt would be perfect for me to use it in....what solids did you use in your quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! No border vote - how about a pillow turn?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought this jelly roll, too, and have been contemplating doing this exact pattern with it. It looks great! Because it's such a modern fabric, I vote for no borders. That's the more modern thing, right? Great job, lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The quilt is great and I think it is so pretty that you don't need borders. Don't apologize for needing some time away. We all need that every once in a while. I'm glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to every single comment. If you don't get a response from me...you are a no-reply blogger. Check your blogger settings to show your email so you can get replies & notification of giveaway winnings! Leave your email if you're unsure!