Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Welcome to my quilting blog!

Ok ladies (and gentlemen who may be reading)...it's time to get serious about this! Here's a little back story about my quilting history and blah blah blah...

I was forced given the opportunity to do a "project" of some kind by my mother when I was in high school for summer. She wanted her daughters (4 of us) to do something productive with our summer out of school. She told us to choose something we can complete before the next school year started and have fun with it. I thought about it and decided to make a quilt! She is an excellent quilter and I figured she can "help" me with the sewing (wink wink). 

I went through numerous quilt books of hers trying to pick a pattern simple enough for a first timer such as myself. To no avail, she suggested picking out a simple block or doing a strip pieced quilt. I liked the idea of the strip piece idea so went with that. We went to various quilt shops and I picked out all the fabric. I'm almost sure she didn't agreed with some my fabric selections because she's into dark primitive prints. I chose BOLD, BRIGHT, and FUN prints and patterns- which were not really her thing BUT she paid for everything and I got started.

I began as every quilter/sewer does...Where do I start? What do I do first? As if the fabric was going to magically cut itself up and lay out perfectly for my mom to sew. Not even close, I had no idea what I was getting myself into! I saw these pretty prints all together and didn't want them CUT up! NOOO! They were soo pretty. (I still feel this way sometimes about certain prints, as if I'm holding on to them for something "special"- HA!) So, I started at the VERY beginning...ironing my fabric and lining it up straight and cutting off the "wonky" extra, learning to use a ruler, mat & rotary cutter. I had to figure out how to read the mat lines and line everything up precisely, and cut this way not that way, etc. It was a lot more work than I thought it was going to be! At this point there wasn't even any sewing done. My attention for this project was fading but I was determined and continued on. I began cutting random strip sizes from my fabrics. After I laid everything out, I decided it was finally big enough for my twin size bed. I left the sewing part up to my mom to finish. She completed the top and it SAT in a BOX for 7 years with the backing & binding fabric, just waiting to be quilted & bound :(

I came across it one day (7 years later) and told my mom that "we" need to finish it. At this point in my life I hadn't even thought about sewing again...too much work. I was really into paper and scrapbooking as well. So I collected paper and did albums instead of going down quilter's lane. Anyways, I asked her to re-teach me how to use the ruler, mat, cut, etc. I was on my way to completing this unfinished summer project...finally! I pieced up the fabric for the backing and sent it off to a fantastic local quilter and await completion. 

Finished twin size quilt (now that I have a queen, blah!)



I began shopping with my mom at various quilt shops and I FELL IN LOVE with fabric!!!! I wanted to make this quilt and that quilt, and get this kit, buy this pattern, etc. I began sewing with an extra machine my mom had and a PASSION EXPLODED! I haven't touched paper or scrapbooking since! (which is a bummer because I still enjoy that stuff).

We were at a very unique (and fabulous & one of my favorites!) local quilt shop called Starry Night Hollow. I saw this one quilt called "Broken Hearts"(no longer available, sorry!) and I HAD to have it! It just spoke to me! I ended up suckering asking my mom to buy the available kit for me. I was on my way to another great creation! I think I almost started immediately with the pattern. I read it and followed the instructions and came to a road block (for a beginner). I ended up abandoning the project and it SAT in a box for 2-3 years....OH NO!!!! NOT AGAIN!!! (different reason but still!) I began another project and finished that one up because it was MUCH easier. 

One day I was going through that box of fabric and stuff and came across the heart quilt...I decided to take another stab at it and was reminded why I dropped it. I showed my mom my problem and went down to the quilt shop to ask for help and was given some advice. BUT this pattern was no longer available, the lady didn't remember it, there was no fabric in stock from the quilt kit and the selvage from the project was already cut off and thrown out...so I had no idea who the designers were and couldn't get back-up material just in case I messed up somehow. Apparently, this was NOT a beginner quilt! Ha! Of course not, I always seem to be interested in more advanced projects...I went home and followed the advice given and finished it!!! 3 years late but HEY, it was finally sent off to the quilter and completed! 

Here it is!...

Isn't it gorgeous? That's why I HAD to have it!!!

So, that's my little back story and first experience with quilting. I've been a sucker for fabric material ever since! I've completed over 20 quilts since then! I'll be posting them little by little. I'm happy to refer anyone to any patterns I can! Some patterns will not be available anymore though :(

Happy quilting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reply to every single comment. If you don't get a response from me...you are a no-reply blogger. Check your blogger settings to show your email so you can get replies & notification of giveaway winnings! Leave your email if you're unsure!